You know how sometimes you have those days when you just want comfort food? Sure, having it be as healthy as possible is always preferable, but comfort food it must be. And it needs to be easy and not require a dozen exotic ingredients.
I had one of those moments not long ago, and what I wanted was meatloaf. Nothing fancy, no bacon wrapped or cheese stuffed or oyster flavored (is that even a thing? it sounds awful!), but just good plain meatloaf like my grandmother cooked.
This is the result. Please don't tell my husband he ate celery, he swears he hates it, but he didn't even notice it.
To make it as healthy as possible I recommend sugar free ketchup and the lowest fat content beef that you can get 93/7 is always a good bet. If you can get grass fed organic then its a double plus! If you are opting for low carb or keto, then you can swap out the breadcrumbs for either crushed pork rinds, or golden flaxseeds. Pork rinds will add to the umami flavors already in the meatloaf, flaxseed has a very rich and nutty texture.
Whichever version you prefer, life is just better with meatloaf.
Comfort Food Meatloaf
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup soft, fresh breadcrumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook onion, celery and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup.
- Remove pan from heat and divide sauce mixture in half.
- Combine one half of the sauce with ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Mix gently.
- Pat mixture into a lightly greased 9-x 5-in (2 L) loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until an instant read thermometer reaches 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Rest for 5 minutes. Reheat the reserved sauce mixture.
- Slice meat loaf and serve with sauce.
olive oil: Fidelity, marriage, peace, protection
onion: oaths, promises, warding, protection, health, banishing, virility, potency, male fertility, energy, psychic, spiritual
celery: peace, soothing, relaxation, sex, desire, lust, grounding
green pepper: growth, prosperity
Tomato: werewolves, protection, warding, health, money, luck, love
beef: energy, excitement, strength
bread: nurturing, prosperity
egg: fertility, spirituality, rejuvenation, mysteries
salt: protection, banishing, exorcism
pepper: cleansing, purification, banishing, protection