When you are able to eat seasonal and local you really do reduce your impact on the Earth greatly. You are using far less resources in transporting and processing of out-of-season vegetables from around the globe. the veges you buy are usually fresher, which is better for you as they contain more nutrients. And they are often cheaper so your wallet will thank you too!
We also gained a room mate who is pescatarian. Its been a learning curve figuring out how to combine my carnivore husband with my own low carb eating and an essentially vegetarian room mate. End result, I have been discovering some amazing low carb and keto vegetable recipes!
The current favorite in our household is a cauliflower casserole that tastes amazingly hearty and meaty and it so easy to put together. Its seasonal, vegetarian, paleo, low carb and everyone loves it! That has to be a win. If you can't find fresh basil at this time of year, then sub in a tablespoon or so full of dried basil.
Creamy Caprese Cauliflower Casserole
(Low Carb, Vegetarian)
1 medium cauliflower head, washed, trimmed, cored, and cut into florets
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
⅓ cup heavy cream
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
A handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) and place a rack in the middle. Rub a medium-large baking dish with a bit of olive oil and set aside.
- Spread cauliflower florets in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is lightly caramelized, turning once.
- In the meantime heat tomato sauce and tomato paste in a large saucepan over low heat. Once warm, stir in heavy cream, Parmesan, red pepper flakes (if using), salt, and pepper. Remove from the heat, and stir in the cauliflower.
- Fold in half of the mozzarella, half of the tomatoes, and a pinch of the chopped basil.
- Pour the entire cauliflower mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and remaining tomatoes.
- Lower oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Then turn the broiler on and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil leaves, and serve.
We end up with a dish that is very feminine in nature, as well as warming and comforting. It packs a powerful punch of prosperity and money magic. Because cauliflower is so very feminine, when you combine it with the tomatoes you end up with very much the mama bear type protective warding energy that makes for a comforting dish for someone going through upheavals. The cheese has the effect of amping up all the protective prosperity magic that is already inherent in the other ingredients. And the basil just adds a wonderful note of love and harmony to the entire dish.
Cauliflower: celebrates all things lunar and feminine, female, cycles.
Tomatoes: protection, warding, health, money, luck, love
Heavy Cream: prosperity, Nurturing, Protection, Success
Cheese: completion, enhancing energy
Basil: love, protection, harmony, money