Let’s face it, by the time Imbolc rolled around for our Ancestors they didn't have much left in the pantry in the way of fresh greens. For many of them all they had left was root vegetables, cheese, cured meats, and lots and lots of cold weather.
Potato soup is simple, hearty and sticks to the ribs wonderfully. The ideal fast and comforting dish when the wind is howling outside.
Imbolc Potato Soup
- 8-12 slices bacon
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 8 cups milk
- 4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook bacon over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside. Save the bacon drippings for use in other recipes.
- In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, stirring constantly until thick. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a slow rolling boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
- Top with more bacon, cheese and green onions.
If you don't have green onions then use ordinary onions and skip using them for garnish. Replace some, or all of the milk with chicken stock for a lighter version.
Potato: often carved into poppets for use in sympathetic magic. Potatoes carry strong protective magic, this is enhanced by seasoning them with onions or chives.
Bacon: Full of prosperity magic and has the added benefit of intensifying the energy of anything it is combined with. Bacon truly does go with anything.
Butter: nurturing and soothing, butter helps to smooth over conflicts and adds sticking power to the energies of the foods it is combined with.
Flour: Wheat has always been associated with prosperity magic.
Green Onions: Like onions, green onions increase your health, both physical and spiritual. And they help to strengthen you and absorb any negative energies.
Leave a comment