Frankincense is one of the oldest and most common ingredients in the history of incense. It is often sold in its granular form or powder form. If you purchase the granular kind, you can work it easily into a powder using your mortar and pestle.
Frankincense has always been my "go to" incense for most rituals. It has many uses in various areas of magical work. See below for further details. Personally, I burn it frequently on my ancestral shrine. When I place the granules on the heated charcoal disc, I say the following:
I make this offering in remembrance of all who have gone before.
- Aroma: fresh, fruity, citrus bouquet with delicate sweet, resinous, and woody undertones
- Emotional Attributes: meditation, prayer, cleansing/purifying, strengthening, creativity
- Element: Fire
- Astrological: Leo, Aries, Sagittarius, Virgo
- Planetary: Sun
- Seasonal: Spring & Summer
- Cleansing and purifying, consecrating, and fumigating
- History, an ancient shared spirituality
- Inspiration of meditation and quiet prayer
- Having a conversation with your deepest, wisest self, the creator aspect of your being
- Strengthening something that is already there that needs to be nurtured, perhaps something that has been ignored. Likewise, the strengths that we uncover, something that does exist that can be brought to greater power.
- Protection - knowing and making something strong
- Courage from the inner knowing, that which comes from the inside
- Creativity as in fresh, new thoughts that come from an unknown source
- Heightens astral travel
- Revitalization - vigor, aliveness, reinvigorates the warmth that is already inside us
Leave a comment